Changes in Wake County Graduation rate call for new testing policies

Dana+Shefet%2C+sophomore%2C+takes+an+English+test+in+the+Library+at+Athens+Drive.+
Photos by Elizabeth Lung
Dana Shefet, sophomore, takes an English test in the Library at Athens Drive.

More than two-thirds of students in Wake County received better test averages than they did two years ago and 82% of students graduated from high school. The graduation rate of the county is lower than the state average of 83%, this is the highest it has been in years, according to www.wcnc.com. The county’s success is from the new testing and grading methods that were introduced last year

The testing average in Wake County reached 83% success in the county’s education results that were released. Many say that the new testing method is because of this. Over the summer, Wake County implemented a new testing and grading method. The purpose of these methods was to take away common core classes in the curriculum. It also now allows test corrections on all tests taken in that subject.

Christopher Remaley, a mathematics teacher at Athens Drive, spoke about the new methods that Athens Drive has started to use this year.

“I have never done test corrections in the 20 years I have been teaching. However, I do think that it takes some stress off of students because if they do poorly on a test, they still have a chance to do corrections and score a better grade,” said Remaley.

Remaley also believes that the Athens Drive average should be higher.

“I think that the graduation rate should be around 85-90%. A few years ago, Athens actually had the highest graduation rate in the county.

Another statistic that rose due to these changes was graduation rate. In the year of 2012-2013, Athens Drive had a graduation rate of 82%. Comparing that to the 2013-2014 graduation rate of 79.8%, it is lower.