New Principal looks to make Athens “Great”

New Athens Drive principal Dr. James Hedrick has officially begun his tenure at Athens Drive. He comes to the school armed with experience and intentions to take Athens from a school considered “good,” to one known as “great.”

Hedrick arrived  at Athens Drive on the first day of second semester, taking over the position of principal after previous title holder William Crockett’s seven year tenure. Hedrick introduced himself to all of Athens Drive’s students at the beginning of the semester.

Addressing the students wearing a “tag changer” t-shirt, the new principal presented a PowerPoint that discussed many personal facts. The “tag changer” concept comes from a story from the Korean War. In a mobile hospital known as MASH units during the war, patients were categorized using tags: green for those immediately needing surgery, yellow for those without life-threatening injuries who could wait, and red for those who could not be saved. Those with red tags were given medication and left to die as pain free as possible.

The “tag changer” was a nurse who was told to place a red tag on one of the soldiers. As she did, he reached up, grabbed her arm, and told her to let his family know that he loved them. Moved by this, she defied protocol and  placed a green tag on this soldier. Later, when a general asked the camp personnel who changed the tag, the nurse regretfully confessed, fearing repercussions. After this announcement, the general reached out and hugged the nurse.. He told her, “The tag you changed was my son. YOU saved his life and he is home now recovering with his wife and children.”

“I guess out of all I have said about graduation rates, improved academics, etc. My challenge to all of the teachers and to all of the students is…Do you have the courage to be a “tag-changer” and make a difference in someone’s life at Athens? It is all of our responsibility…” –Dr. Hedrick

Hedrick claims that his t-shirt, as well as the personal information presentation, was his way to help his new students understand where he came from. He also hopes that his experiences can inspire Athens Drive students into working hard to be successful.

Hedrick believes a great amount of his drive to become an educator came from inspiration from teachers and coaches he himself had. He claims that the progression from teacher to principal was very natural as principals are still educators, just with a “broader venue” and greater impact. This greater impact can be shown by the lasting impression Hedrick’s principals had on his life.

“I admired a lot of people who were principals and sought to emulate them…Dr. Joe Pociask, Mr. Robert Haskins, and Mr. Ernie Guill. I learned a lot from them and tried to emulate their successes and have, hopefully, adapted their strengths to me personally,” said Hedrick

Before becoming principal at Athens Drive, Hedrick worked at several other high schools. This included Green Hope High School from 2005 until he left for his current position.

Hedrick cites his influence for coming to Wake County as his wife, a North Carolina native who attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She wanted to move closer to her family and both Hedricks liked the Raleigh area.

Hedrick feels that his experiences not just in Wake County, but at all of his previous schools, have prepared him well for Athens.

“It’s not just my administrative experience that has prepared me. Everything I have done professionally; everyone I have come in contact with personally and professionally; all of my experiences have prepared me. I look forward to taking everything I have learned and using it as a conduit for my work here,” said Hedrick.

Hedrick comes to Athens Drive with plans to take the school from “good to great.”  This includes improving things such as the graduation rate and tardy records.

“Students need a high school degree regardless of their future plans. In money alone, and I may be wrong about the amount, but students with a high school diploma will probably earn twice the amount of their colleagues who fail to earn a degree,” said Hedrick.

Hedrick has seen personally the benefits that earning a high school diploma can have on an individual. One example is his brother.

“He dropped out of school in the 10th grade and went to work as a plumber’s assistant. At the time he was making $10 an hour while his colleagues who graduated were making around $20. He went back and got his diploma and now owns the company he was working for. That’s one example and I am sure there are many others. Graduating is essential…” said Hedrick.

There has been much speculation as to how Hedrick plans to improve Athens. This naturally has lead to several rumors of new rules students think Hedrick plans on enforcing for the school, including a ban to wearing yoga pants and smart lunch. Hedrick says that both activities are safe, but with some adjustments.

“First and foremost, we are not going to do away with Smart Lunch. We will look at making it more productive and beneficial. Second, yoga pants are not barred, but there has to be an appropriate top that covers,” said Hedrick.

Hedrick has high expectations for everyone at Athens. He feels that his plans, combined with a good effort by the school as a whole, can truly make Athens “great.”

“I believe that Athens is on the verge of being a “great” school and I wanted to be a contributing part of that. It’s going to take a lot of work by the students, the staff, the administration and the community to take that next step from “good to great.” But it can be done if we are committed to making the changes needed. If we have the belief that Athens can be great. And if we hold each other responsible for doing the right things, greatness is in front of us…Will be take the steps needed is the question?” said Hedrick.