North Carolina Museum of Sciences receives medal from first lady

First lady Michelle Obama has awarded the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences (NCMNS) 2014 National Medal for Museum and Library Science in a special ceremony at the White House, May 8.

“Congratulations to the 2014 winners of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service. From programs that foster passion for science, literature and cultural heritage, to critical 21st century skills training for improved educational outcomes and workforce readiness, the services and programs of these institutions truly do make a difference,” said IMLS director, Susan H. Hildreth in a statement.

Other past winners of the award from North Carolina include the Natural Science Center of Greensboro in 1996, the Levine Museum of the New South in 2005,  the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County in 2006 and the Public Library and Information Center of Cumberland County in 2012.

“Winners of the National Medal were selected from nationwide nominations of institutions that demonstrate innovative approaches to public service, exceeding the expected levels of community outreach.” said NCMNS.

The museum offers a number of workshops, programs and online adventures during your visit, at home and in the classroom. These programs include Animals Two by Two, an interactive lesson using live animals and Armpit and Belly Button Biodiversity. In addition, they also offer a 3D Theater and Auditorium, an Arthropod zoo and a living conservatory which are permanent exhibits and open year-round.

Located in downtown Raleigh, the Museum of Natural Sciences is a part of the North Carolina Department of Environmental and Natural Resources.  For more information on North Carolina’s most visited cultural attraction, visit http://naturalsciences.org/, or visit the museum at 11 W. Jones Street in downtown Raleigh.

The Museum will host a free livestream of the ceremony May 8 from the SECU Daily Planet Theater at 11 a.m.and is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5p.m. from Monday to Saturday, noon to 5p.m. on Sunday.