Vocal Ensemble

Amanda McLain, senior, has been in Athens chorus for the past three years and has joined Vocal Ensemble to finish out her final year of high school. She has been singing since she was three years old, and says vocal ensemble has made her enjoy singing even more.

Athens Chorus has three levels: Women’s choir, Concert choir and Vocal Ensemble. Vocal Ensemble, the highest level of chorus, is an audition-only group with around 30 singers.

“Vocal Ensemble definitely has the best singers in the school. It is audition-only so whoever tries out has to have talent to make it,” said McLain.

Feb.10 and 11, Athens Vocal Ensemble went to a competition at Meredith College. They received the “Superior” award, the highest award you can get, for both singing and sight reading. They practice hard, and Joy Clayton, chorus teacher, is a big part of their high rankings in awards and competitions.

“Ms. Clayton is an excellent teacher. She’s good at what she does and keeps us on track,” McLain says.

In addition, Athens Drive Vocal Ensemble has a great social aspect. McLain feels as if all of chorus is one happy family and that she has made lasting friendships through chorus.

McLain will not be majoring in music, but hopes to participate in chorus groups at the university she attends.