Bollywood Dance Club at Athens Drive

Bollywood dancing has come to Athens Drive with the new team called Zamana, meaning “Time in,” to represent the modernised version of this cultural dance style.

“We are making Bollywood dance modernised into the 21st century,” said Ruchi Bhatia, club secretary.

Bhatia, along with her other co-founders Seymone Gugneja, junior, and Ridhima Desai, junior, bring Bollywood dancing to ADHS to make the school stand out. Their goal is to bring this foreign twist to Athens.

“We thought it would be fun if the Indian culture was brought to Athens,” said Gugneja, vice president of the club.

There are many different dance clubs and teams at the school, each of them having a unique characteristic. Bollywood dancing displays its unique style by telling stories through the way of movement and Indian music.

“We want to bring ADHS out there,” said Gugneja. “The only other school with a Bollywood dance team is Enloe.”

Gugneja has experience in many forms of dances such as an Indian classic dance called Katcak. She has also done Bollywood style for one year, contemporary for two years and ballet and modern for one and a half years.

She is not the only one with dance experience in the club.  Desai, president of the club, has had over 11 years of dance experience. Desai has experience in an Indian style called Bharatanatyam, Oddissi, and Kuchipudi dance.

“We are planning on performing mainly after school, but if given the opportunity at a pep rally, we would do it,” Desai said.

Desai, Gugneja, and Bhatia, all act as choreographers of the club, teaching students from any experience the way of Bollywood dancing. The dances done in the club range from traditional Indian dances to the Bollywood ‘movie-style’ dancing done today.

“I decided to start this club because not many people know what Indian culture is, and over time I’ve noticed some people were very ignorant on the subject, so I thought if people don’t know what it is, we need to show them and what a better way through dance, which is a common hobby that me, Seymone, and Ruchi all share. But even though I’m the President/Captain, I couldn’t have done it without my Vice President and Secretary,” Desai said.

Saianna Henry, a freshman at ADHS and new member of Bollywood dance club also has a history of dancing herself. She joined to explore the way of Indian dancing to develop a new way to express her passion.

“My friends wanted me to do it, and the club  needed more people involved,” said Henry.

Henry has also brought in many of her friends into the club who were trying out the new choreography with Desai Fridays during B-Lunch.

“I am not sure yet if I like Bollywood dancing yet,” said Henry. “But I have a history of dancing and this will be interesting.”

Bollywood Dance Club meets every Thursday and Friday at B-Lunch and is open to more members regardless of experience.