New artists highlighted in awards show nominations

In 2012 the American Music Awards (AMAs) were watched by 9.47 million people. This year the awards show will air on the ABC network Sunday, November 24 at 8/7 central. The nominations list was posted October 10 and includes the categories of artist of the year, new artist of the year, single of the year, top soundtrack and several favorites for all genres, for example favorite female country artist.

Josef Edmonds, junior said,“In my opinion, the best song an artist can write is one that conveys a lot of emotion and power. My favorite songs usually have driving beats, yet catchy and melodic vocals. Any song from any genre of music, everything from country to dance can quickly become one of my all-time favorites.”

Fans can vote by logging on to ABC network’s website and the winners will be unveiled during the live awards show.

Up for artist of the year are Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and Justin Timberlake.The nominations for single of the year are the songs “Cruise” by Florida Georgia Line Featuring Nelly, “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Featuring Wanz, and “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke Featuring T.I. and Pharrell.

While Robin Thicke and the featured artists on his nominated single are all well established in the music business, his competing nominees are both also in the running for new artist of the year. In the category of new artist of the year again are Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and Florida Georgia Line along with Ariana Grande, Imagine Dragons and Phillip Phillps.

Florida Georgia Line is a country duo made up of Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard. They have risen to fame in the past two years with two albums and two songs climbing into the top ten’s on the Billboard charts.

Ariana Grande is best known for her role as Cat Valentine on the Nickelodeon television show Victorious.  She has since signed to Universal Republic Record label and released two albums with vocals often compared to those of Mariah Carey.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis teamed up in 2010 and have since released the album “The Heist”. The album rose to number two on the Billboard 200 chart. They have been nominated for four different American Music Awards, and the duo currently has four songs on the Hot 100 chart but is most famous for their single “Thrift Shop”.

Imagine Dragons is a band made up of front man Dan Reynolds, guitarist Wayne Sermon, drummer Daniel Platzman and bassist Ben Mckee. They are still preparing to release their first full album, Night Visions, with the label KIDinaKorner and have been nominated for three American Music Awards.

Phillip Phillips was the winner of American Idol’s eleventh season. “Released the same day that Phillips claimed his American Idol victory, “Home” marked the most successful coronation song of any Idol winner—as well as the highest-ever debut on the Billboard Digital songs chart, with 278,000 downloads sold.” (www.PhillipPhillips.com)

While awards shows only happen once a year, the AMA’s and Country Music Awards in November, Grammy’s in January, etc, The Billboard Hot 100 chart is changed every week. The top ten at present include the likes of Lorde, Drake, Jay Z, Imagine Dragons, Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry.

When asked what her favorite current songs and artists were Sydney Frazier, senior, said, “The music I listen to today is a mix of pop, Katy Perry’s “Roar”, songs like Radioactive by Imagine Dragons and R&B, Love More by Chris Brown. They all give a feel good vibe and an amazing combination of notes and pitches that move you as well as sick beats.”