Athens students stand behind athlete battling cancer

Weston+with+much+support+from+his+class.+
Photos by Brooke Bowling
Weston with much support from his class.

Coby Weston, senior, was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma Aug. 20; as he goes through treatment, there has been an army of peers rallying behind him.

Weston first realized something was wrong when he began coughing a lot and continuously felt tired after football practices. Weston  went to Urgent Care for an inhaler after practice but later found out it was much more serious than asthma.

Weston first told his close friends about the news before announcing to his football team that he had cancer.

“I was shocked because you never think anything will happen to a close friend,” said Cameron Keane, senior and teammate.

Weston has been playing on the Athens Drive football and baseball teams the past three years. Due to the cancer, he will be unable to play his last football season. However, his goal is to be well enough in time to play baseball in the spring.

Jimmy Ray, football coach, said, “Weston was always a really hard worker and constantly contributed to the team in practices and games.”

In honor of Weston, each player on the football team wore a purple stickers with the number 74 on the back of their helmets. The color purple represents the battle against Hodgkin’s lymphoma and Weston’s football number is 74. In addition, the entire football team shaved their heads to let Weston know he would not have to go through this alone

The football players are not the only one’s at Athens honoring Weston. Athens students are also purchasing “Coby Strong” t-shirt that will be worn to the football game dedicated to him. The marching band also supported Weston by playing at half-time a song called, “Hope for the Cure.”

Weston is currently undergoing chemotherapy and radiation therapy. The doctors estimate that he will need to undergo treatment for four months.

Weston has stayed positive throughout this process.

“I have a good chance of beating this and I want to be with my friends and teammates and be as normal through this as possible,” said Weston.

Weston has shown not only himself but everyone around him that he will not let having cancer get him down. Although he cannot play, Weston comes to almost all of the football games and most of the practices.

“He’s taking it better than anyone could ever expect…He always comes to practice with a good attitude and a smile on his face,” said Mark Stalling, senior and teammate.

Although, Weston has had a positive attitude through this process; being diagnosed with cancer has opened the eyes of his teammates and coaches

Coach Ray reminded his athletes “Life can change at the drop of a dime and players need to practice and play like it was their last time.”

View Comments (2)