Seniors celebrate end of high school with various traditional Athens events

The school year is coming to a close at Athens Drive High School and the events for seniors are starting up. The end of the year events include prom, the senior awards assembly, senior picnic and graduation.

The 2017-2018 school year marks the last year for prom for the class of 2017. The prom will be held at the Sheraton in downtown Raleigh. It starts at 8 p.m. and the price of admission is 45 dollars. The new thing this year is that the staff will be breathalyzing every student before they enter prom. Stephen Mares, principal of Athens Drive, wants to make sure that everybody is safe before and after prom.

The senior awards assembly will be held May 25th during second period. The senior awards assembly is a ceremony that shines a spotlight on seniors who have made great academic achievements in their four years at Athens Drive.

“I’m most excited for the senior picnic because I like to not have to go to class and the Little Jags go to it too,” said Jenna Settlage, senior.

The senior picnic occurs  May 26 and will run throughout the entirety of the day.  It includes food, games, bouncy houses and slides. Snow cones and ice cream will be catered by Pelican’s. To be able to get into the senior picnic, students have to pay five dollars in advance. The Baby Jags also get to come and visit the senior picnic as well as participate in certain activities.

The final two events for the senior class have to do with graduation. Graduation practice happens from 1-3 p.m. June 2. There, senior will go through the walk and acceptance of their certificate while in their hat and gown. Students who are doing a speech for the graduation will also run through their speeches for the event.

The seniors will wrap up their year with their Graduation June 10 from 8-10 a.m. Senior may be there no later than 7:15 a.m. They get  free six tickets to give out to whoever wants to come to the graduation and any additional tickets will cost money.

The rest of the year is full of events for seniors. Their high school careers are winding down and now it is time to relax for the rest of the school year.  The seniors will then have the summer off as well as the rest of the school and begin the rest of their lives at colleges in the fall.