China and the U.S. come together to discuss looming threat of North Korea

There are many disagreements between America and China, but possibly the most threatening is how to handle North Korea. As President Donald Trump approaches his first summit with China, North Korea’s pursuit of nuclear weaponization is going to be at the top of the agenda.  Trump is going in with the mindset that if China is not going to solve the problem, then he will take it upon himself to handle the situation.

“Currently North Korea has failed to launch any intercontinental missiles successfully but they will eventually succeed because they have been testing them for awhile. Soon they will become a real threat and will need to be dealt with,” said Nashim Uddin, senior.

In 1995, there was an agreement signed between America and North Korea to freeze and break down Pyongyang’s old nuclear reactors. Since then, there has been many violations towards this pact. After the pact was formed, North Korea has been planning to conduct their sixth nuclear test.

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un has tested more missiles in the last year than both his father and grandfather combined.  Meanwhile, North Korea is also continuing progress on a nuclear missile that is capable of hitting anywhere in the United States.

Analysts report that there are not really any new options to pursue when trying to combat the Pyongyang situation. It all depends on how Trump decides to go about dealing with the situation that he inherited as president.

Many lawmakers and government officials urge Trump to start direct negotiations with North Korea, but in exchange for China to raise sanctions against Pyongyang if they fail to negotiate in good faith.

Allies of the U.S. are mostly worried that Trump will pursue a military option and this is due to the fact that America’s allies would be the ones taking a majority of the damage.  Other countries do not want to have to worry about the possible damage that could ensue if America were to target North Korean facilities.

“In North Korea, they’ve got nuclear weapons and powerful missiles. So, something more strict than what’s been done to North Korea is going to have to work.  Plus, their leader also has a really horrible bowl cut,” said Carolyn Berg, junior.

The biggest factor, however, is that China does not want to see the US put into an ideal situation.  China does not want to be put into the situation where Pyongyang is dismantled and the Korean peninsula would be allied with America.  

Both countries want to see Pyongyang’s nuclear activities dismantled, but they want to see it done in different ways.  Due to this, experts say this will ultimately play in favor of North Korea. China’s goal is only stability in the region while Trump wants to completely denuclearize Pyongyang.

As long as there is this gap between China and America’s goals, North Korea will have enough space to go about as they wish.