Back on the come up from last year’s upset

Marcus Paige tied the game, Kris Jenkins responded and the Tar Heels lost to Villanova in the 2016 NCAA championship. Last year’s game upset many UNC fans. However, the number one team is again shooting to win the NCAA title. With Duke and Villanova out of this year’s bracket, the Tar Heels’ chance of winning has increased.

“I think they got a really good chance this year [to win the NCAA championship] after losing last year to Villanova on a last second shot,” said Coach Jimmy Ray, ISS teacher and UNC fan.

North Carolina is currently ranked number one in the NCAA along with Gonzaga, Kansas and Villanova. Villanova and Kansas lost and are no longer possible opponents. However, Gonzaga is still a potential opponent. The Tar Heels play number three team, Oregon, April 2nd and are looking for a victory to move onto the next round.

“That [losing to Duke in the ACC] just exposed their weaknesses and show how they’re going to lose when they get to the sweet sixteen[against Butler],” said Christopher Remaley, math teacher and NC State fan.

The Tar Heels lost to Duke March 10th, 93-83 in the ACC tournament. At the time Duke was ranked 14th and Carolina was ranked 6th in the NCAA. Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks, UNC players, led their team in points that game, scoring 19 points each. On the other hand, Jayson Tatum of Duke scored 24 points to lead the game in scoring and give Duke the win.

“I think they did bounce back from their loss against Duke. That kind of rivalry comes with a territory. Some games your rival is gonna beat you and some days you’ll beat your rivals. You hate losing to your rivals but it’s alright. You can move on,” said Coach Ray.

The Tar Heels have been playing well since losing to Duke, given they have not lost a game since. They were very close to losing against Arkansas with an ending score of 72-65.

“Arkansas went out there and played hard but Carolina went there too and they gritted it out and won. So it is what it is, you need those type of games so you can advance,” said Coach Ray.

Justin Jackson and Kennedy Meeks led their team in scoring against Arkansas. Both of which are potential future NBA players. Kennedy Meeks averages 12.5 points per game along with 9.1 rebounds per game and 1.0 assist per game. He plays forward and stands at 6’10 as a senior. On the other hand, Justin Jackson a junior, has slightly better stats. He averages 18.2 points per game, 4.7 rebounds per game and 2.8 assists per game.

“I think Justin Jackson has an opportunity to play in the NBA right off hand and the rest of the guys I think will end up going overseas and coming back. Isaiah Hicks has an opportunity because he’s an athletic big,” said Coach Ray.

Justin Jackson also leads the number one team in points as a junior. Followed by Kennedy Meeks then Isaiah Hicks.

“They always send several to the NBA. Justin Jackson I think he’ll go pro and he’ll do well. Kennedy Meeks is a good guy down low and he will go pro. I also think Joel Berry is good enough to go,” said Remaley.