The Health Science program allows students to explore different career fields

Athens Drive High School’s Health Science program helps students apply for internships that relate to their interest. Juniors and seniors a part of the program have the opportunity to complete an internship survey that places them in a specific job for the summer.

The internships are held for a variety of Health Science careers available through partnerships and community partners.  The opportunities include nursing, medical, biomedical, hospital, veterinary, pharmacy, research and physical therapy.

“My goal is to suit the student and their internship to make sure that it will be an experiential experience for both,” said Jennifer Hulsey, Health Science Academy coordinator.

Christian Judkins, senior, had the opportunity to complete an internship at North Carolina State University’s (NCSU) biomechanical school.  The internship was held from June 2016 through August 2016.  It was a intense program that requires 135 hours.  Judkins’ internship focused on biomedical engineering and researching different branches of science and how it is important to today’s society.

“I learned the significance of patience and the overall purpose of a researcher,” said Judkins.

The experience with this program changes every year, which makes it easy for students who may want to complete this internship twice.

“I would complete the internship again because it taught me something new everyday,” said Judkins.

People are placed in the Health Science Academy through recruitment and marketing.  Hulsey recruited 106 incoming freshman for the class of 2021.  Internships are requirements for graduation from the academy.  Internships are discussed with students when going into their junior year.  This discussion gauges their interest.

Judkins will be featured in the Wake County Public School System Magnet Magazine based on the new Magnet theme, the Health Science Academy and Athens Drive.

“His experience and internship was so over the top that Mr. Barry and I are taking our second group of students to the National BME day on April 6th. The school has also taken another student, Ahmad Odeh, for his 2017 summer internship,” said Hulsey.