Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

Ilyass Chabreg
Ilyass Chabreg
Staff Writer

Ilyass Chabreg is a sophomore at Athens Drive. He is a staff writer for the Athens Oracle. He enjoys playing soccer in his free time and plays for the school soccer team.

Deevani Rodriguez
Deevani Rodriguez
Features copy editor

Deevani is an open minded character, she likes fitness, eating, and spending quality time with her loved ones. She hopes to write more exciting, engaging articles.

Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Athens hosting the last blood drive of the year

Every two seconds,  someone in the United States needs blood. Blood is key for survival, and when in a crisis, blood is crucial for a patient’s life. The process of donating blood is not very complicated; however, there are some requirements necessary to donate blood.

“Be in good general health and be feeling well, be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and have not donated blood in the last 56 days,” said Jessica Hulsey, Health Science Academy Director & Global Career Development Facilitator.

The last blood drive that was held was on March 16, 2017. Another blood drive held was Nov. 22, 2016. The blood drive was successful and over 85 pints were donated.

“Over 100 participated in the UNC-Blood  Drive held Nov. 22, 2016. This included the H.S.A. and  NTHS students from the active recruiting, volunteers to make the drive happen (set up, take in. runners and take down) and the staff and students of Athens Drive Magnet High School donating their gift of “life”. 1 pint = 3 lives saved. We collected over 85 pints = 255 [lives saved],” said Hulsey.

Not everyone has the same blood type. According to Palomar College, there are four principal types, A, B, AB and O. O is the most desired because it can be used to treat any blood types, but any blood type is still useful.

Donating blood can have a great impact on a patient’s life and can determine life or death. Blood is valuable and hospitals need plenty of it for patients and other needs. Several pints could be used for one patient if needed.

“More than 1.68 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2016. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment. A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood,” said Hulsey.

Before donating blood, the donor should have had a decent healthy meal and be well hydrated.  After the donation, food and snacks will be offered to the donor and anyone else who participates.

“Sign-up to participate, we have implemented a QR code this past drive and was a success. Select your best time to participate during school hours, lunchtime donors get a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich from our community affiliation with our Walnut Street Cary store, snacks, juice and a T-shirt is given to every participant,” said Hulsey.

If enough people donate blood, hundreds of lives could be saved. Donating blood is recommended for anyone and will not do harm to the actual donor.

“Blood  donation is a safe and simple procedure, and gives you the great feeling of having saved up to 3 lives,” said Hulsey.”

Creative Commons CC0
Here are the four common blood types.