A Change in English Curriculums Could Improve Teen’s Mental Health

Many books of the current American English high school curriculum are from almost 100 years ago, and it seems as though it will stay this way. The novels several past generations read in high school are what millennials are still reading today. Books such as “The Great Gatsby” (published 1925), “Fahrenheit 451” (Published 1953) and “Things Fall Apart” (published 1958),  were all published before the twenty-first century. Novels such as these all have one thing in common; prominently negative themes.

“The Great Gatsby,” taught to juniors, conveys the message that one shall not dream too high because it will lead to utter disappointment. “Fahrenheit 451” has a good message that books are an important part of society, but the futuristic aspects are a bit too dark for freshmen. “Things Fall Apart”, which is read to sophomores, follows the life of an arrogant man named Okonkwo who could not take the troubles he caused in his life any longer. Shakespeare literature is taught often in all grades and surround themes involving revenge and death. With teenagers having impressionable and developing minds, this kind of negativity can bother students easily.

Most of the material read particularly in the English III curriculum surround topics such as suicide, midlife crisis and questioning existence. Examples of this are shown in the essay “Once more to the lake,” by E. B. White, as well as the essay “Perfect Past,” by Vladimir Nabokov and “The Crack-Up,” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. All of these essays revolve around the themes of mental instability, darkness of life and death. Many teens at Athens claim that English class in fact leaves them temporarily in a prominently sad mood, due to the material they read.

English is meant to analyze literature and these novels have a lot of material to evaluate, the matter being considered are conflicts deep in despair. If the curriculum was altered to read and analyze books with positive outlooks, students would leave class in a more positive mood. Not to say that the new curriculum should shadow students from the negative aspects of the world, it shall just focus more on the positive ones.

There is an essay from the “Best American Essays” book, from the AP English III curriculum, titled “The Marginal World” by Rachel Carson. The short essay talked about the beauty and wonder of the ocean as well the dark side of the ocean that most ignore. This piece of literature offers both uplifting and darker aspects, much like life itself.

Another example of a more positive themed book read in high school English, is “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Ms. Harper Lee. The novel has many, if not more, heartbreaking topics and plot lines, but the overall ending moral of the story is a supportive message regarding past and modern day racism. Students claim to have enjoyed reading this novel as freshmen.

These hopeful outlooks for the future allow teenage minds to learn more English techniques but remain mostly positive minded, for the benefit of their mental health. Mental illness among teenagers is occurring at higher rates each year. According to a Youth.gov infographic in 2010, 49.5 percent of 18 to 25 years olds in America met criteria for mental health disorders. Additionally, one in every four to five youth will suffer from a lifetime mental disorder. English class should not add to this issue, but in fact should try to mend it.