Students explore culture through French club

Athens Drive’s  French Club gained a lot of student interest over the past semester. The club explores many aspects of french culture, such as food, holiday traditions and language, and the club appeals to many different students.

“French Club is for all levels of french students, whether you’ve taken one semester or five,” said Hoang Robinson, french teacher and club sponsor.

French Club meets around six to seven times a school year. During these meetings, members of the club discuss french vocabulary, traditions and cultural differences surrounding a holiday or event taking place that month.

“The club is mainly an extension of French class to provide students with more information about french culture,” said Robinson.

Members of the club listen to French music, watch French videos and prepare French food, providing a hands on experience for students who want to learn more about life in France.

“It’s a lot of fun, and everyone is very welcoming,” said Edward Bynum, junior and co-president of the club.

The club usually meets one Thursday a month, giving it the potential to be an easier commitment for busy students to make. Since September, the club has accumulated about 25 members. While these students have taken at least one semester of French, which is a requirement for the club, the students French ability varies, so most club activities are discussed in English.

The club cooks a variety of French foods. One day was spent making crepes and talking about a holiday in France centered around crepes, called La Chandeleur. Some students bring foods in and discuss them, as well as how they are eaten.

“Around Christmas we discussed how, in France, children receive gifts in their shoes.We compare and contrast French and American traditions,” said Bynum.

The French club meets roughly every third Friday of the month in Madame Robinson’s room and is a place for all kinds of students to gather together and celebrate one thing they have in common, an interest in French culture.