Water fountain germs often go unnoticed

The Environmental Protection Agency recently released data reporting thousands of schools across the United States that carry contaminated drinking water. School water fountains have been proven to be infected with lead, pesticides, and other toxins such as norovirus and influenza A. The water fountains from Athens Drive could be one of the many victims across the country that carry disease.

“The Environmental Protection Agency data is terrifying. This is a big concern that people should be taking more seriously and raising awareness,” said Melanie Darges, senior.

Water fountain handles were found to be among the most contaminated surfaces in elementary schools, yet many remain oblivious to these dangers.

“I have never even thought about the germs that could be spread through water fountains, I do not live in fear,” said Sophie DeRosa, senior.

Measures that could be taken to stay healthy include letting the water run for a few seconds before drinking, not putting your mouth anywhere on the fountain, not touching any part of it besides the handle and washing your hands after use. The basin of the fountain will remain constantly moist due to the water running through it, so it is a feeding frenzy for bacteria to grow and thrive.

“I have witnessed people putting their mouth’s on the spouts in horror, no wonder the fountains are contaminated,” said DeRosa.

Lead is the second most common contaminant found in public school drinking fountains. Lead is known to affect development and IQ and can cause permanent damage in children and developing brains.

The distrust that is being placed in today’s water fountains is also hurting public health at the same time as it is helping. The less people trust water fountains, the more soda and sugary beverages they will drink. This can lead to dental issues, dehydration, and eventually obesity. If students wash their hands after touching just the handle of the water fountains, the risk of infection is minimal.

“The water fountains can’t be any worse than your cell phones,” said Shannon Burleson, biology teacher.

Precautions need to be taken before coming into contact with a school’s water fountain. According to Huffington Post, it takes 1.5 million barrels of oil to create the 50 billion plastic water bottles Americans use each year, and less than a quarter of those are recycled. People should be given the healthy drinking option without having to worry about the infection risks.

“Water is vital to my everyday life, and it’s sad that something so important to everyone isn’t given the proper attention” said DeRosa.