Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

Death of deaf Charlotte man by North Carolina State trooper sparks outrage

David T. Foster
Family and Friends of Harris gather to honor his memory during a candlelit vigil.

In recent events, a deaf and speech impaired man, Daniel Harris, was shot by a North Carolina patrolman, Aug. 25.  An alarming increase of police brutality is the current issue of 2016. Victims of police brutality tend to be unarmed African-American males, but not always.

“It’s getting so exhausting to hear about the injustice done by police. It’s time something be done to wayward policemen,” said Alexis Threadcraft, senior and member of the Black Student Union (BSU).

Harris was driving a Volvo on Interstate 485 in Charlotte when a trooper flashed his lights, signifying to pull over because of speeding. Sargent Michael Baker, Harris exited I-485 and drove into his Charlotte neighborhood, instead of stopping.

At his neighborhood, Harris made movements through sign language to communicate with the trooper who in return shot him. Harris died at the scene.

“I think policemen are the most impatient people ever, and impatient people should not be allowed to wield a gun,” said Threadcraft.

The trooper, unnamed, has been put on administrative leave following the incident, said Baker. Authorities have been gathering further information through body and dashboard cam.

“Here at Athens we have many visually and speech impaired, and deaf students, it’s scary to think something like this could happen because of their disabilities,” said Yusrah Oyewole, sophomore.

According to CNN news, Harris’ brother, Sam Harris, said that Daniel Harris was afraid of police. The family has been pushing for more information but the police aren’t telling them anything.

“The police need to become aware of how to communicate with deaf people, what that might look like and how to avoid situations like this from ever happening again,” Sam Harris, who also is deaf, told CNN through a sign-language interpreter on Aug. 22.

Friends and Family gathered for a vigil at Harris’ house, Aug. 22. Many remember Harris as “funny and sociable”. A funding page has been created on YouCaring.com in order to cover Harris’ memorial and cremation expenses, the rest of the money raised will be used to establish a foundation “to educate and provide law enforcement proper training on how to confront deaf people,” as written on the website.

As of Sept. 13, the family has raised $31,028 out of $40,000, to cover the expenses of Harris’ funeral. Many people who donated left heartfelt comments to go along with their donations.

My heart goes out to Daniel’s family. I only hope that something will change so that the police can identify deaf drivers! There should at least be something on the license plate,” said Sherry Palencia, a donator.

This is not the first incident like this, and many community members and others are asking for a stop to it all.

“It’s starting to not surprise me when a policeman shoots and kills an African-American male, but hearing about Daniel Harris really surprised me. It’s Police brutality, and that needs to end,” said Oyewole.