Seniors find unique options to enrich themselves in gap year following graduation

Taking a gap year is something seniors start thinking about as the end of high school come closer. Seniors can take a year off between high school and college and the main reason for this is to have more time to see what they want to do for the rest of their life. Adam Prevette, senior, is planning on doing this.

A gap year can benefit a student’s college and adult life. During a gap year, students can take internships and travel the world. This can include going and helping less fortunate people in foreign countries or taking a job in a foreign country so they can travel. They can also learn more about themselves and who they are so they can make a correct career choice when it is time for them to start college.

“I plan on going to Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji. I’ll be working in animal rescues and wildlife refuges,” said Adam Prevette, senior.

Many colleges encourage taking a gap year after high school. These colleges include Princeton, UNC and Harvard. In a study conducted by the American Gap Association, students who have taken a gap year have a higher GPA are more likely to return to college after one year of being in it and are more likely to graduate within the four years. Also in the study, it was shown that students who took a gap year were 75 percent more happy with the career path that they choose after having a year to themselves. These students were more confident with their career choices which aided them in times of employment.

While taking a gap year has its benefits, a gap year can hurt a student if they do not use it wisely. Students who do not do anything of significance, such as taking internships and traveling the world, during their time off are more likely to have difficulty deciding what they want to do when they go to college. Many of these students who do not do significant activities struggle to get into their desired schools because universities look to see what individuals did during their year off.

“I’m taking a year off because I need a break from school and, you know, do some stuff that I might not be able to do when I’m older,” said Prevette.

Taking a gap year mainly has benefits if the person makes the most of it by traveling the world, taking internships, and volunteering. It can give people a new view of the world and what they want to ultimately do with their life.