Lineberry crowned Gradman in seniors’ end of year show

Worth+Lineberry+crowned+Gradman+at+this+years+senior+Gradman+show.+Twelve+senior+boys+and+ten+senior+girls+spent+the+past+three+months+preparing+for+the+talent+show+which+raised+over+%244%2C000+for+the+Make-A-Wish+Foundation.+
Photos by Declan Hoffman
Worth Lineberry crowned Gradman at this year’s senior Gradman show. Twelve senior boys and ten senior girls spent the past three months preparing for the talent show which raised over $4,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The 18th annual senior “Gradman” show brought another year of passion and friendship in what the majority of the audience found to be a highly entertaining show, celebrating students’ last year in high school, while raising over $4,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. By the end of the night, Worth Lineberry was crowned Gradman as “Mr. Cute” in a tight vote ahead of runner-up Ryan Schneider as “Mr. Musical.”

“Gradman made my high school experience complete. Since I was a freshman, I have always wanted to be able to participate in Gradman and actually doing it with all my friends my senior year just made my senior year complete,” said Lineberry.

This year’s senior pageant for boys featured the traditional talent presentations, athletic displays and group acts and dances. Twelve senior boys nominated by the senior class, escorts, stagehands, technical crews and the show’s advisor, Christopher Remaley, spent the past three months preparing and coordinating smaller details to ensure a successful show.

“Gradman was a lot of work. My sole job was to make sure Philippe had the smoothest and most stress-free show as possible,” said Sarah Cook, Gradman finalist Philippe Garay’s escort.

Escorts serve as the finalists’ assistants, aiding in the production of each of their individual acts in the show. They also helped with miscellaneous tasks that made the show possible, including constructing backdrops and promoting the show throughout the student body. During the show, escorts acted as stagehands, managing costume changes and props, but ultimately accompanied their Gradman finalist onstage for the award presentation.

This year’s show quickly became one of the most highly praised Gradman shows with much praise for the performance of the finalists in addition to the well-rehearsed choreography of events behind the scenes.

“Gradman was extremely entertaining. I was very impressed by the performance of all the guys, especially their dancing … overall much more entertaining than a lot of other years,” said Jeanna Cooper, Gradman judge.

The year’s success came with its challenges, however.  

“People had to meet in the middle on a lot of stuff. Also, we had to make some minor adjustments here and there because some of our activities were inappropriate. Wrapping everything all together with the lights and costumes—getting into the flow of the show—was a challenge toward the end,” said Lineberry.

Regardless, the entire Gradman cast took part in a unique experience that they will unlikely forget.

“The show is never not fun–it’s never ending laughter–and promotes a great cause to raise money for charity,” said Remaley.  

The show encompassed the twelve Gradman finalists performing each of their group and individual acts in front of a panel of 10 senior girl judges who ultimately vote on the Gradman. All of the money raised from student donations throughout the weeks leading up to the show are combined for the Gradman’s charity of choice.

“I think many people will agree with me when I say the show turned out amazing. It was great seeing how far we came from the first full run through to show day … It was a great feeling to see all our hard work pay off and to hear the audience laughing,” said Cook.