Hundreds of animals saved into local ASPCA

The ASPCA stands for American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, focused on keeping animals out of hostile situations. They are calling on the help of young animal-rights advocates to aid in their mission of protecting the lives of all animals.

Nearly 700 animals have been saved by local ASPCA no-kill shelters between February and March 2016. Although, massive rescue operations do require much help in making them successful. Many of these animals are in poor conditions and need assistance in getting to a better, happier state.

One way to spread the word about the importance of animal rescue and care is through youth advocacy. Teens are the voice of this generation and have the capability to maximize the awareness of animal rescue. At first, there were roughly 600 animals saved but as time went on the amount almost reached 700, making it the biggest companion animal rescue in the whole 150-year history of the ASPCA.

“ASPCA responders are still on the ground providing assistance in Raeford, North Carolina, at the site of an unlicensed, 122-acre facility known as The Havensta,” stated the ASPCA Organization website.

Some animals are victimized by their owners on multiple occasions, resulting in higher numbers of animals being taken in by shelters. Adopting an animal from a local animal shelter is always a good idea if a family is capable of caring for the animal. Adoption organizations and the ASPCA are always looking for people to adopt.

Ways that students can help within this issue is simply by learning more about animal rescue and from what they are being rescued from.

“The more you know the greater your ability to create change,” Amanda Crooks, participant of the board of directors at Independent Animal Rescue in Durham.

Many students own pets throughout their childhood. Owning a pet varying from a fish to a horse, teaches the owner responsibility, because the owners must care for that pet whenever it is necessary, much like caring for child.

Student pet owners speak out about their admiration for animals.

“Being a dog owner is awesome. Pets always make you feel better. It’s even scientifically proven!” Said Allie Denton, sophomore.

To many, making better lives for animals is a top priority, Crooks explains by mentioning the innocence of animals.

“{Animals}They are forced to live in the world that we create around them and even when life isn’t fair, they pass no judgments and offer no criticisms… If people could forgive as well as animals do, the world would be a much better place,” said Crooks.

As this issue hits close to the hearts of teens who have cared for animals before, the fact that nearly 700 animals were saved and awaiting better lives, affects them.

“I believe all teens should volunteer if they are not able to adopt, because it is a worthy cause and a good way to get involved in the community, and hearing that all these animals were saved makes me very happy,” Hannah Baldwin, sophomore.

Volunteering in shelters is also a way to increase needed hours for NHS. There are numerous ways to expand animal rescue awareness in schools and students have put thought into plans to do so.

“We could put up posters, have fundraisers, and maybe create clubs for more people to learn about what they can do to help,” Andrea Housel, sophomore.

To volunteer at an animal shelter you must be 16-year-old and go through a small training session. But if someone still wants to volunteer but do not meet the age requirement, they can assist a volunteer who is of age to do so. That way as many volunteers as possible will be able to help the cause.

ASPCA advises anyone who witnesses or hears about an animal being abused, call the police or animal control immediately and report what has happened. This will help ensure the maximum protection of animals.

“Rescue is a way to be a voice for the voiceless and a way to use our time, skills and resources to care for those who depend on us.  We need people with energy and passion so who better to help than today’s teens. “ Crooks said.