Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Zane Perryman

Zane is a senior in Newspaper 3 and is an assistant editor. He likes music and taking pictures and writing stories about things he enjoys.

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Five miles, 12 doughnuts 2400 calories, one hour. This is the epitome of the infamous Krispy Kreme Challenge, an annual race at North Carolina State University that raises money for the North Carolina Children’s Hospital.

The 12th Annual Krispy Kreme Challenge occurred Feb. 6 where thousands of participants signed up to run. The race began at the North Carolina State Bell Tower at 8:30 a.m. extending onto Hillsborough Street and the northern streets of Downtown Raleigh before finishing back at the Bell Tower. Participants are to run 2.5 miles, eat 12 doughnuts and continue running another 2.5 miles to reach the finish line.

“I really enjoyed racing in the Krispy Kreme Challenge. Everyone came in their craziest costumes and it was a like a big party. It was a very energetic atmosphere that made the race even better,” said Bruce Lucas, sophomore.

In this race runners have a choice of running for competition or fun. As a competitor, runners must eat all 12 of the doughnuts and complete the race in under an hour. Casual runners can go at whatever speed they choose and do not have to eat all 12 of the doughnuts. All runners, whether they are casual or competitive, are there for the same reason: to support the North Carolina Children’s Hospital and to have fun.

“I have done the challenge for the past two years and have really enjoyed the race. I first heard of the Krispy Kreme Challenge from one of my rowing coaches who was one of the founders of the challenge,” said Isaac Martin, junior.

The Krispy Kreme Challenge began as a challenge among a group of friends in 2004 that has been transformed into a nationally recognized charity race. Many North Carolina State University students follow the tradition of completing the challenge before graduation. Over the past 12 years, the race has raised more than $954,000 for the North Carolina Children’s Hospital, as well as creating a new form of racing that is liked by runners and doughnut eaters.

“When I completed the race in 2015, I was only able to eat five doughnuts, but this last year I ate ten. Eating the doughnuts is harder than it looks, but it’s all for a good cause so it’s worth it,” said Martin.

This year’s Krispy Kreme Challenge donated $195,000 to the North Carolina Children’s Hospital. The goal of the NC Children’s Hospital is to provide care to patients from all over the state of North Carolina, regardless of the family’s financial situation. The Krispy Kreme Challenge raises money that helps pay for additional equipment and support services. In addition to this, the money also funds various programs that improve the treatment and care of children who suffer from varying illnesses.

“The North Carolina’s Children’s Hospital is such a great organization. I really like that the money they make goes directly to help the people in need,” said Lucas.

Runners, volunteers and donors all support and participate in the Krispy Kreme Challenge with their contribution to the charity. Though the Krispy Kreme Challenge is commonly seen as a race for people with a stomach of steel, all runners and ages can race and benefit the good cause. Doughnut lovers and runners come together, raising money for a great cause while enjoying a sweet treat.