Davenport Retiring

After 27 years at Athens Drive High School, Ken Davenport has decided to announce his retirement. Davenport taught approximately 4860 students in social studies, with the majority this year being sophomores and juniors. Aside from teaching, Davenport has had a huge impact on the club student council at Athens Drive.

“I have been here so long that I can walk down the hallways of Athens Drive with my eyes shut,” said Davenport.

Some people are sad to hear that Davenport is retiring after this year.   He has worked with a variety of teachers and students, whom he has left a mark on.

“I am sad to hear that Mr. Davenport is leaving, he has inspired me to become a better student,” said Natli Luz Marte, sophomore.

Davenport has contributed to  student government by holding all meetings in his classroom after school, and executive meetings during lunch. This year, he has helped the council create bylaws for next year’s student government.

“Dr. Hedrick will be responsible in picking the person to run student council after I leave,” said Davenport.

As a teacher, it is Davenport’s job to educate his students as best he can, whether it is giving them meticulous notes or fun games, but mainly their job is to communicate and help the students apply this information.

“I had Davenport as a sophomore, and when I did not understand things he worked one on one with me,” said Sanara Sidney, senior.

Davenport’s dedication not only has an influence on his students, but on his staff members as well. Leigh-Ann Frazier has worked with Davenport for 22 years.

“He is a true leader, very passionate and a good person to work with,” said Frazier.

Davenport has worked at Athens Drive through his whole career of teaching. Throughout his time at Athens Drive, he has taught a variety of subjects including AP European History, World History, AP U.S. History, American History and others. As Davenport leaves the Drive he plans to travel across the country possible to Iran.