Super bowl ‘Monday’ should be considered

Super Bowl Sunday is a day that friends and family meet up and spend time together.   It sounds like a holiday if someone was to ask me.  Holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, have the same basic principle: friends and family coming together all for the same purpose.  Super Bowl Sunday should be considered a National Holiday and individuals should have the following Monday off from work and school.

For those that do not know, the Super Bowl is a game in which the champions of the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC) battle it out for the Super Bowl title.  Many say that the Super Bowl is one of the greatest sporting events that happens in this day and age.  It ranks right up there with the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics.

Every Super Bowl, millions of people tune in and watch the biggest sporting event in the world.  Those people stay up late to watch the game. That Monday can be rather difficult to be productive because someone is either tired due to the lack of sleep the night before or from the night’s activities.  Going to either work or school after not having a full night of rest makes it difficult to get work done.

The Super Bowl brings in so much money due to ticket prices that are on average more than 1,000 dollars, food and drinks for Super Bowl parties can end up costing a lot of money. The average everyday person spends a lot of money, however the nation as a whole and major businesses make a ton of money.

The question is, how is a holiday defined?   The similarities between Super Bowl Sunday and other holidays are undeniable, and that must be taken into consideration.   

Since the government is the one that decides what is considered a holiday, Super Bowl Monday will more than likely not become a holiday, because what do they ever get done.

An estimated number of people that is almost 200 million watch the Super Bowl each year, and this is a very large number of people that could bring in a ton of money.  An estimated 15 billion dollars are spent by consumers.  The 2015 Super Bowl host was Phoenix Arizona and the city spent nearly 30 million dollars, while San Francisco who hosted this past Super Bowl is expected roughly 50 million dollars.  This amount of money that is being thrown around for the Super Bowl is a great amount and creates great revenue for the NFL and also the rest of the United States government.

Someone should push for a holiday for the Super Bowl, if this is done, education and work progress will get better.  Many people would benefit from having the day off on Monday after the Super Bowl.