Spirit Week Showcases ‘Gradman’, Glass Slipper Ball nominees

This year, the week of Feb. 1 at Athens Drive was dedicated to celebrating school pride. From Monday to Friday, students of all grades participated day by day, wearing clothing that correlated with the daily theme.
“Spirit week is such an awesome part of our school. The daily themes are so creative, and I can’t wait to see everyone’s outfits in the hallways,” said Grace Edo, sophomore.
The student council initiated spirit week as a way to embrace creativity amongst the student body. The week started with ‘Merica Monday, then continued with Tie-Dye Tuesday, followed by Wacky Tacky Wednesday, Jersey Thursday and closed with Blue & Orange Day on Friday.
To conclude the week, the Spring Pep Rally was held in the upper gym. The pep rally began with the Vocal Ensemble singing “The Star Spangled Banner,” and continued with senior performances and dance routines by the Step Team, HYPHY and Dance Team.
The pep rally closed with the school band playing several songs including their renditions of “Seven Nation Army,” “Land of 1000 Dances” and “Hey Baby,” a football game favorite.
“The pep rally is such a great way to end the week. I love having shorter classes, and seeing what the seniors have prepared,” said Helena Batukuemi, sophomore.
While sophomores, juniors and seniors are allowed at the pep rally, freshmen are required to stay in their homeroom and watch the live broadcast from the television. If sophomores, juniors, and seniors grade students are tardy swept that quarter, their ability to go to the pep rally is revoked, further proving that the pep rally is a privilege. The tardy sweep policy is a motivator for students to show up on time to class in order for them to not be banned from coming to the rally.
“Being a sophomore has its perks. I don’t have to be stuck in homeroom anymore watching the pep rally from a tiny screen. I mean that’s great and all, but I’m sure watching it live would be much more enjoyable,” Batukuemi said.
A large part of the Spring Pep Rally is a performance from the 2016 Gradman nominees. Gradman is an annual competition when 12 senior boys are nominated for different traits. Ranging from the Mr. Cute to Mr. Involved, the 12 nominees compete for the cause of charity, raising money by carrying milk jugs around campus in order to raise money for their designated causes.
“Gradman is such an awesome thing to be a part of. I love having fun with all of my good friends, especially if it’s for a good cause,” said Philippe Garay, senior.
The Glass Slipper Ball is an annual dance that takes place at Athens Drive to honor young women from each grade for good character. Due to the postponing of the Glass Slipper Ball, the GSB nominees received recognition along with roses at the Spring Pep Rally with the announcement of the winner, senior Elena Price.
“It’s always such a great pleasure to be recognized for GSB. All the other girls are so sweet and nice, and I love reading the heartfelt note from the teacher who nominated me,” said sophomore Hannah Baldwin, two-time Glass Slipper Ball nominee.