Public pressure saves Athens Drive Community Library from closure

Wake County Public Libraries (WCPL) and Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) jointly decided to reverse their decision to close Athens Drive Community Library after the public responded negatively to the abrupt announcement in July.

Since its opening in the early 1980s when WCPSS partnered with WCPL, the Athens Drive Community Library has served both the students of Athens Drive and citizens of the surrounding communities. Rising concerns regarding the security of the Athens Drive campus, as well as budget cuts, prompted Wake County to announce in the beginning of the 2015 summer that the library would close its doors to the public July 26.  Such a sudden decision upset many residents, who had no opportunity to voice their opinions about the fate of the library.

“The Wake County taxpayers who fund both libraries and schools deserve innovative, cooperative, and community-based resources such as Athens Drive Community Library,” Raleigh resident Andrew Tharp wrote in a petition. “The sharing of county resources should be considered a model to be replicated.”

Not long after the controversial announcement, a petition was started on change.org, supporting a delayed closing date in order to consider more options and give the community a chance to express their opinions.  In less than a week, more than 400 people had signed their names, and shared why the Athens Library should continue to serve the community and the school—just as it was.

“The Athens Drive Library is a valuable resource for the children at this school and community. The library was set up to integrate the community with the school, and give everyone opportunities in this area,” Angel Mackenzie of Cary wrote in the petition.  

The Athens Drive Community Library is a unique collaboration between the county and the school system, as it not only serves the residents of Southwest Raleigh, but also the teachers and students of the high school.  The fear of losing such a community cornerstone spurred many citizens to object to the county’s decision, seeking other long-term solutions that considered community input.

“I worked at Athens as an English teacher for eight years and the library was an invaluable source for my students. They had access to databases and books that they would not be able to use if the library wasn’t a public library as well. I also personally witnessed numerous citizens use the library daily as a resource.  Closing this branch down would be a huge mistake,”  wrote Andy Ellington, former Athens Drive English teacher.

Pressured by the reaction of the community, Wake County officials instituted a temporary plan of action in early August that allowed the library to continue to serve as it was previously until school started, when county officials foresaw an adjustment of public hours.   This option was favored over leasing a different building or building a new facility.       

Public voices have ultimately saved the Athens Library twice in the last decade.  In 2009, Wake County considered closing the library due to budget concerns.  This time, the county also claimed that the library conflicted with safety regulations. Although there had not been any reported incidents involving library patrons who have threatened the high school’s security, the school district thought it was unwise to allow the general public free access to the high school campus.

As of Aug. 20, Wake County formally authorized an agreement that will keep the Athens Community Library open.  The library will be open for extended hours and a change in financial responsibility will resolve budget concerns. A major part of the problem was that the library staff were not paid enough in comparison to other Wake County librarians, and the school district had to make up for the difference, according to the News and Observer.

“This library used to be a special library but now we are a full public library,” said Bill Mulvey, WCPSS teacher librarian.  “It can offer all aspects … we have a branch manager and full time librarians now and more programs for the public.  We also have access to all the other public library resources whether it be books or public library databases.”

In the new arrangement, Wake County will take full financial responsibility for the new staff.  Also, more signage, parking and an increase in public events will hopefully increase the attendance at the library.  The library will continue to cater to the needs of the community, not only by providing a place with free internet and educational resources but also by hosting more storytimes and public events.  It even foresees the establishment of a teen leadership corp in the near future.   

“[The new agreement] serves both the school and the community well,” said Dr. Hedrick, principal.

Under the new plan, the library will be reserved for teachers and students from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. on weekdays, and the public will have access to the library from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

“I love the idea of the school system and the library system working together.  I have been a high school librarian in the past so I have a lot of high school experience,” said Cheryl Bruns, Wake County library branch manager. “[Now] we have more resources.  Athens Drive Public Library is a community size branch.  In other community branches they don’t have as many books, but we have a lot more.”