Snow’s impact on Spring Sports

Inclement weather caused the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) to close down for eight days in a two-week span in February. With students not going to school for a long period of time, spring sports were affected, resulting in many sports activities getting postponed or cancelled.

The Athens Drive baseball team had two weeks worth of practices cancelled. Also, the Athens Drive men’s lacrosse team had to postpone tryouts due to the weather. They also missed two weeks of practice along with two scheduled games against Apex and Green Hope. These games will be rescheduled.

“The snow stopped us from having enough practices before we started having games. It was confusing to figure out all the schedule changes for tryouts and games,” said Bradley Gahan, sophomore and player on the Junior Varsity (JV) men’s lacrosse team.

For the Athens Drive women’s lacrosse team, tryouts were pushed back and scattered. Two games, against Apex and Green Hope, were missed and had to be rescheduled.

“It was pretty hard to adjust to the tryout cancellations and having a lack of practice. All of the melted snow has put the practice field in poor conditions, so it is a lot tougher to practice in mud,” said Rachel Sykes, sophomore, and JV women’s lacrosse player.

The Athens Drive women’s soccer team also had tryouts pushed back. Along with missed practices, the team missed a game against Cary Academy, which is rescheduled to be on March 31. This reduced the season length from twenty games to eighteen games.

“The cold weather was unpleasant to play in. It was very muddy and players would get dirty. It was much harder to practice in,” said Jensen Burkeen, sophomore, women’s soccer player.

With the start of spring sports being postponed for Athens Drive and the rest of WCPSS, the Athens Drive spring sports teams look to bounce back from a loss of valuable time. Wake County has attempted to make up lost time by rescheduling games.