Athens mourns loss of two former students

Three Muslim students were murdered, Feb. 10, in an apartment near the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus. Craig Hicks is charged with three counts of murder after shooting and killing his neighbors, newlywed couple 23-year-old Deah Barakat and 20-year-old Yusor Abu-Salha, as well as Yusor’s 19-year-old sister, Razan Abu-Salha. Police have said that the current suspected motive for the shooting was a parking dispute between the neighbors, but the families of the victims maintain that the murders were a hate crime.

Deah was a graduate of Broughton High School, having graduated in 2009, and a current second year graduate dental student at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (UNC-CH).

Razan and Yusor were both graduates of Athens Drive High School, having graduated in 2013 and 2011 respectively. Both were actively involved in the Athens community with organizations such as Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), and the Muslim Student Association (MSA).

“Yusor and Razan were in newspaper and FCCLA with me. Yusor was the most beautiful and kindhearted person I had ever met, and Razan was the sweetest. Yusor always gave me advice and shared with me how excited she was about college. I really miss her. I miss all of them.  I hope they are happy wherever they are and hope they know how much they are missed and loved,” said Sarah Haseeb, Athens alumni and current junior at Meredith College.

Yusor graduated from North Carolina State University (NCSU) in 2013 with a degree in human biology and was planning to begin graduate degree dental studies at UNC-CH this upcoming fall.

Razan was an architecture and environmental design student at NCSU.

“Razan was a student of mine her senior year. She was always so kind and sweet. Even though she was quiet, she still had a presence that was visible and vibrant, I will always remember her beauty and her light,” said Shavonne Hairston, social studies teacher.

Razan was also part of Athens’ FCCLA chapter for most of her time at Athens, participating in state and national level competitions, and holding multiple officer positions.

“The morning of FCCLA competition, Razan was one of the people who gave me advice to not be so nervous and she encouraged me that I could do it,” said Olivia Boieru, senior.

Craig Hicks was indicted by a grand jury, Feb. 16, on three counts of first degree murder, as well as an additional charge for disarming a firearm in an occupied residence. Due to the nature of the crime, family members of the victims have also made numerous public requests for federal authorities to investigate the murders as a hate crime, which the Federal Bureau of Investigation defines as “a traditional offense like murder, arson, or vandalism with an added element of bias.” These biases can include aspects such as race, religion, gender, disability and sexuality, and the crime does not have to be entirely based on this bias.

The Durham County District Attorney, Roger Echols, announced March 2 that he was planning on pursuing the death penalty for Hicks.

“They were the three diamonds of our community. I am really blessed to call them my cousins. My family and I miss them, actually missing them is an understatement. Finally, in their honor, GO WOLFPACK,” said Lina Charawi, sophomore.