Peyton Smith Faceoff Master

Peyton Clay Smith Faceoff Master

By David Parker

Athens Drive junior lacrosse player, Peyton Smith, has officially committed to Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York.  All three of his years in high school, Smith has been on varsity.  Coming into the 2015 season, the Jaguars expect a lot out of the top ranked faceoff specialist recruit for the class of 2016.

Smith, who is coming off a season in which he was awarded first team all conference honors as well as having the most ground balls on the team.

“Last season was great.  Having the honor of being on first-team all conference as a sophomore was pretty sweet,” said Smith.

Outside of Athens Drive, Smith plays for the Tar Heel Lacrosse Club.  He travels up and down the East Coast playing with the best of the best.

“Playing for Tar Heel has helped me out a lot getting my name out to colleges and it is one of the biggest reasons why I’m in the place I am,” said Smith.

In the spring of 2016, Smith will be attending Marist College to play for the lacrosse team.  The Red Foxes targeted Smith because his great work ethic and amazing skill in the faceoff circle.

When asked why he chose Marist College, Smith said, “Marist brings a lot of great factors to the table. Their education is very good, [as well as] the brotherhood with the guys on the team.  When I went to visit the school I fell in love with it.”

The Athens Drive lacrosse team has high expectations for this season after last seasons playoff birth.  The team has a lot experience along with skill.  Head coach of the Athens varsity team, Jeff Salvado, hopes to lead the team deep into the playoffs.

“We have enough skill to win the conference and after that we will work on becoming state champions,” said Smith.

The jaguars are at a huge advantage over their opponents because Smith winning the faceoff and helping the team put up points.

“The more faceoffs I win leads to more scoring chances and that will help us win games,” said Smith.

Winning games will start out with Smith dominating the faceoff circle.