Lindsay Grant, Susan McGraw, Nathan Bunch, Brower Evenhouse, and Jack Thompson working on their classwork in AP Calculus BC.
Pros and cons of having AP classes in the spring
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • April 9, 2024

Background on AP classes   AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered year-round at Athens Drive High School and many schools nationwide....

Elijah Hoskins
Elijah Hoskins
Social Media Editor

Elijah Hoskins is a Sophomore at Athens Drive. This is his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, he likes to play his clarinet, attend marching band events, hang with friends,...

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford
Staff Writer

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Farah Al-Rbehat
Farah Al-Rbehat

Farah Al-Rbehat is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year as an Assistant Editor on the Athens Oracle. She enjoys reading, spending time with the people she loves, and participates in many...

Super Bowl Preview

The Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots will be battling for perhaps the most desired trophy in all of sports, the Lombardi Trophy. The game will be held in Glendale, Ariz. Feb. 1, 2015.  Both teams had impressive wins against their respective opponents.

The Seahawks, under the leadership of Head Coach Pete Carroll, are coming off of a 12-4 record and a number one ranking and look to defend their Super Bowl title.  Seattle’s offense is driven by the nine-year veteran running back Marshawn Lynch, and the young quarterback Russell Wilson.  Their offense plans on running the ball all over the Patriots defense.

Carroll’s defense finished the regular season with the best scoring defense, allowing the least amount of points per game.  The intimidating defense is led by cornerback Richard Sherman and the Legion of Boom (L.O.B).  The L.O.B has been causing havoc for opposing offenses by often putting pressure on the quarterback along with their numerous sacks.  The linebacking core will stop the run against any team and is fast enough to make it tough to throw the ball against.

In the postseason, the Seahawks handled the Carolina Panthers 31-17 in the Divisional round of the playoffs.  The following week they faced the Green Bay Packers, coming back from a 16-point deficit to pull off a nail-biting win, earning them the National Football Conference crown.  The Seahawks are looking to defend their title with a win against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX.

Bill Belichick is leading the Patriots into their sixth Super Bowl since he has been in New England.  The Patriots are also coming off of a 12-4 record and a number one seed in the American Football Conference.  Even though the Patriots have been praised for their impressive season, they have recently been criticized for the “Deflategate” scandal.  In the conference championship game against the Indianapolis Colts, NFL officials found out that the game balls the Patriots were using were under inflated by a substantial amount, giving them an unfair advantage.  Belichick and quarterback, Tom Brady, have both denied the accusations.  Even though the Patriots have an extra distraction to face, Brady and the high powered offense will look to put up points on the top ranked defense.  This offense is experienced in the postseason as they have played in six Super Bowls since coach Belichick has been leading the team.

“New England has been through so much this whole year and all of that adversity will help beat Seattle.  Plus the fact that Tom Brady is a future Hall of Famer and debatably the greatest QB in NFL history,” said New England Patriots fanatic, junior, Drew Martin.

This Super Bowl is much anticipated because they are the best two teams in the league.  This is the most watched sporting event for all American sports and millions of people will tune in to see who will be crowned the greatest in the world.