President Obama Sets Ambitious Goals in the State of the Union Address

President Barack Obama spoke out on current issues and his plans for his last term in the State of the Union address January 20. Obama’s ideas reflect his feelings when first entering the office in 2009, as he hopes to improve health care, foreign policy, and increase jobs in the U.S., specifically addressing the middle class. Obama stated his reasons that this is the best time to act on the middle class.

“At this moment — with a growing economy, shrinking deficits, bustling industry, and booming energy production — we have risen from recession freer to write our own future than any other nation on Earth. It’s now up to us to choose who we want to be over the next fifteen years, and for decades to come,” said Obama.

The address focused on creating a better life for middle class families and creating services to increase income for these families. Obama also stated that he is not afraid to veto any legislation getting in the way of this agenda. As the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have come to a close, Obama believes America is fully prepared to create a more stabilized economy.

“America, for all that we’ve endured; for all the grit and hard work required to come back; for all the tasks that lie ahead, know this: The shadow of crisis has passed, and the State of the Union is strong,” said Obama.

Obama used the emotional story of Rebekah and Ben Erler, newlyweds struggling to bring in money for their family, to convince the audience of the importance of creating more jobs for people similar to the Erlers. Obama used many tactics to appeal to those listening such as addressing the audience in first person and the use of empowering quotes throughout the speech.

However, it did not convince all those who watched. Critics question some parts of Obama’s plan, perceiving his ideas as too ambitious. In his speech, Obama mentioned reducing Congress spending and changing taxes to accommodate to his idea of a stable middle class economy. Critics also said Obama left many key issues out such as the Keystone XL Oil pipeline controversy that Republicans see as a job making opportunity.

President Barack Obama delivers the State of The Union address on Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2015, in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.(Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

“We’re not going to raise taxes. He knows we’re not going to raise taxes. So I’m kind of surprised he paid lip service to that,” replied Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan after the address, according to David Espo of Yahoo News.

Republican John Boehner intends to give the Republican response February 11, addressing concerns with the State of the Union address and the Republican beliefs for the upcoming year.

Obama hopes his address will bring a heightened sense of pride and hope in the country as well as achieve the goals he set at the beginning of his term. With the end of his final term as President approaching quickly, the State of the Union address was a crucial point in determining the success of Obama’s Presidency.