Athens Swim Team Continues to Support Young Talent in the 2014-15 Season

Promising swimmers prepare to excel in the upcoming Conference Meet
Photos by Emma Edwardson
Jackson Richards, senior, competes in the 100 Freestyle event at the Regional’s Meet on February 7, 2015.

The Athens Drive Swim team continues to nurture young talent through the 2014-15 season. While some swimmers prepare to qualify for the Regional and State meets, the entire team looks forward to competing in the upcoming Conference meet Jan. 31.
“This past season has been successful. The team has worked really hard and the Conference, Regional and State meets will allow their hard work to pay off,” said Head Coach Shane Barry.
There will be a total of 11 swim events, varying from individual swims to relay teams. The individual events include swims in the four strokes: freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly. Distances range from 50 yards to 200 yards. The three relays include the 200 yard freestyle relay, 200 yard medley relay and the 400 yard freestyle relay. Each relay consists of four swimmers, each swimming equal yardage to total the respective distance.
“My favorite event is the 200 IM. It is a little bit of everything, which makes it more interesting. Each 50 [yards] is a sprint, but each lap requires a different set of skills,” said Emma Edwardson, junior.
The Athens Drive Swim Team is divided into a women’s team as well as a men’s team. This past season, the women’s team has been working on rebuilding its strength in new swimmers, since the team graduated many of its seniors last year. However, the men’s 200 yard freestyle relay team has had a successful season and it stands undefeated in this competitive event.
“The men’s 200 freestyle relay has yet to lose a race this year. It’s the best relay we have right now, and I expect them to do well through the rest of the season,” said Barry.
As a whole, combining women’s and men’s scores, the Athens Drive Swim team won the entire meet against Wake Forest, Holly Springs and Southeast Raleigh High Schools this past December. All of the tough workouts served as a benefit to gain the necessary skills for a successful competition.
“The hardest part of swimming is staying focused and being positive and motivated, even when it is really hard, but it makes you feel like you earned your accomplishments,” said Edwardson.
After the many grueling practices Monday through Friday from 3-4 p.m. each week at the Triangle Aquatics Center (TAC), the team’s effective hard work will be proudly demonstrated at the approaching Conference meet Saturday, Jan. 31 starting at 1 p.m. at TAC.
“I like that feeling you get after you know you’ve worked hard. You deserve to be proud. It’s a good kind of tired,” said Edwardson.