Freshmen: Class of 2018

Freshmen socializing in Gym Lobby at lunchtime during the first week of school.
Photos by Dana Shefet

A new school year means new classes, new teachers and a new group of kids taking up a quarter of Athens Drive’s population: freshmen. The current freshmen class’ graduation date is 2018, and they are already taking action in working hard for their future. “My classes are pretty good, they seem pretty easy so far,” said Nicholas Wyatt, freshman. The majority of Athens Drive’s freshmen arrive from Dillard Drive Middle School. Many students are glad to see familiar faces when they arrive at Athens, a much bigger school than Dillard Drive. “All my friends from middle school go to Athens, so it was nice coming in knowing lots of people,” said Wyatt. In middle school, many students came from schools with eight periods in a day or an A and B day schedule. The freshmen have to adjust to the 90 minute classes and four periods in a day. Athens Drive gives many different choices for electives, core classes and clubs. There are lots of ways to get involved with whatever one’s interests may be. Be sure to listen for announcements about upcoming club meetings and new elective options for upcoming years. “I am most looking forward to meeting new people at Athens who came from different schools,” said Wyatt. High school is a place known to help find the person you are, make close friendships, and create the foundations for a successful career down the road.