Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
News Copy Editor

Ella Johnson (Right) is a Sophomore at Athens Drive High School. This is her first semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, hanging out with friends, and listening...

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

Students run out of time for smart lunch clubs

It seems like there are thousands of club opportunities at the Drive, but there is never a time to hold meetings that is convenient for all students at Athens.

Lunch is a sacred time for all students. It is the one hour a day they have to unwind and socialize with friends they may not see during school hours. Not to mention Smart Lunch gives students an opportunity to catch up on school work and get some one-on-one help with teachers.

Upperclassmen tend to stray away from club meetings because they would rather go off campus with their friends. But underclassmen could use their smart lunch to take advantage of tutorials and mandatory guided study. Especially freshmen and sophomores who are struggling with the adjustment from middle school to high school, having lunch to focus on their classes specifically makes a huge difference.

These club meetings are most likely only running for A or B lunch, which does not give the board members of these clubs much time to have an actual club meeting. The majority of the time these clubs are just reading off important news to their members and calling it a day. Some go over plans for service projects or future club parties, but in the end the clubs during lunch never get to be that close with the other club members.

There are some Athens clubs, like Young Life, that meet after school, giving the club more time to plan and accomplish their goals while becoming closer with the other members and their leaders. “We spend a lot of time together and there are always fun events and young life trips…they’re [Young life leaders] like best friends and older siblings,” said Lindsey Bates, senior.

So not only are lunch club meetings shorter and less informative, but when the meeting is over seniors and juniors are left on campus alone.

Therefore, when this precious time of the day is interrupted by clubs students are unable to socialize with friends, nourish the body and gain the knowledge needed to get into college.

This may sound pretentious or shallow to some, but no junior or senior can deny the frustration of having to stay on campus without their friends.

Clubs should be held on their assigned days after school in a designated classroom. While this would require staying after school for 20 to 30 minutes it will make such a difference. Also freshman and sophomores could take the activity bus home or get a ride with an upperclassman.

Many times students forget about their meetings because they are during lunch, but after school gives time for the announcement of the club to spread. Also students are more interested in what their board members have to say rather than what their mom packed them for lunch.

After school club meetings would be appreciated by all students who just want to enjoy their hour of meaningless thinking and food. Giving students one hour to socialize with their friends will given them fun memories of high school that they will carry with them the rest of their lives..