Anonymous twitter accounts create buzz among students

In the past few years, Twitter has become one of the most popular forms of social networking for teenagers. Usually Twitter is used for personal accounts, but starting Jan. 25 there has been a surge of anonymous Twitter accounts focused on the students of Athens Drive.
    “I think it’s funny because people get made fun of, even myself,” said Colin McCormac, senior.
    The first account created was @Athens_suxx (“Athens”). Out of the 44 tweets about Athens students, the majority were considered derogatory towards students. This account did not last for long; the tweets ended the next day for unknown reasons.
    The very same night, the account @Athen3015 (“Athens Crushes”) was created. Instead of hateful tweets, all of these tweets focused on people sending in some form of compliments about their “crushes.”
    This account was also different because the maker allowed people to send in what they wanted to be tweeted through direct messages (DMs) or a website called ask.fm where the sender could remain anonymous.
    During the four day snow break, Athens Drive students were snowed in, but many of them were still checking Twitter. Another account, @AwkADN (“AWK”), was created and tweeted things about people to make them feel “awkward,” hence the username. This account was eventually deleted, most likely because the tweets got a little out of hand.
    “I personally think the twitter accounts are shallow and you’re pathetic if you do that. I mean they’re mean and intentionally there to hurt people. People’s business isn’t meant for others to spread around,” said Logan Lineberry, senior.
    The last major account, @adhsmatchmaker (“ADHS Matchmaker”), was created Jan. 31. The tweets involved “matching” two students together, some were serious, but others were just jokes. Only this account and the “Athens Crushes” account have continued to tweet for a long period of time.
    There were other smaller accounts, including one about sophomores, that focused on smaller groups within Athens. Also, Athens was not the only high school that made accounts like these. Schools including Apex, Green Hope and Middle Creek also had their own version of these accounts pertaining to their students. It seems as if the anonymous Twitter accounts have become a chain event.
    In the past, there have been several twitter accounts created by students anonymously, but none of those lasted for very long and the creators of those accounts were identified. Regardless, it is no surprise that history has repeated itself, except this time, the accounts have been a little more successful.
    When someone creates an account and make up the tweets themselves, it is hard for them to know everything, especially with the other grades. But since these new Twitter accounts allow students to send in their own posts about others, anyone with any information can send it in. This makes the account more appealing to a wide variety of students because others get to participate.
    Whoever created these accounts has managed to stay anonymous and kept their motives unknown. No one is sure whether the same person made multiple accounts or if each account was made by a separate person. The posts have slowed down, but they had a long run.
    “I think that people made them so that the world could know the secrets of Athens Drive,” said McCormac.