FCCLA promotes community contribution and strives to make a difference in youth concerns

There are multiple clubs at Athens that promote participation in community service, Family Career Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)  focuses on what a volunteer can do to help families in need and how this will enrich the lives of not only the people in need but also the volunteers.

FCCLA is a non-profit student organization that promotes personal growth and leadership development for young men and women interested in Family and Consumer Sciences. While most Career and Technical Student Organizations are focused on just community service, FCCLA is the only one with that has family as its central focus. The national organization of FCCLA began in 1945 and have since been striving to make a difference on a variety of youth concerns, including teen pregnancy, parenting, family relationships, substance abuse, peer pressure, environment, nutrition and fitness, teen violence, and career exploration.

“The main activities that FCCLA participates in deal with helping our club members achieve personal growth. We do a lot of service projects that help our members be more aware of the community,” said Sofia Sequeira, junior.

This year the club focused on volunteering, and helping out by making a difference with the Salvation Army. FCCLA volunteered at events such as the soup kitchen, coat sorting, bell-ringing, angel tree, thanksgiving meal baskets and helping to feed, clothe and bring happiness to the people around the community.

“Honestly, FCCLA is a fun experience. It has helped me grow as a person and it has strengthened my public speaking skills. FCCLA provides you with a lot of opportunities that will help you in your future. If you compete at the State Leadership Conference, which is what Jasmine Leon and I are doing, then there are a lot of scholarships available. FCCLA is a good club to join to prepare you for your future,” said Sequeira.

Though there are multiple clubs at Athens focused on volunteering and community service, FCCLA stands out by focusing on the family aspect of volunteering and trying to help members attain leadership skills.

“FCCLA is different because the club offers leadership opportunities throughout state and National conferences. NHS and Key Club do not open doors to help you obtain leadership experience. Every event and service project is optional. FCCLA club members do not feel the pressure to participate in a certain number of events or have a certain amount of hours,” said Sequeira.

FCCLA meets on the second and fourth Thursdays of every month in Beavers’ room.